Pages

Wednesday 19 February 2014

So you can teach an old troll new tricks!

Ok, so here are some shots of some old Warhammer Trolls that have received a bit of a work-up and re-basing for AoA. These guys were originally painted by Martyn many moons ago, and were done in his characteristic bright colour schemes that were popular at the time. Although I loved this look at the time, I now tend to favour a darker look. A quick wallop with some Army Painter dark tone produced some brilliant results.






I applied a coat of matt varnish all over the Stone Trolls, but left the River Trolls bodies with the glossy finish as I thought it made them look nice and slimey!

The Trolls were based on GW standard 40mm bases, but AoA requires 50mm bases for models of this size. Rather than take them off I simply glued the whole 40mm base straight onto a 2mm thick 50mm mdf base from Warbases. A bit of polyfiller round the edges and a coat of sand completely covered the 40mm base. After that a coat of dark brown paint, a drybrush with Colour Party Paints - Stone and some static grass finished them off nicely.





These guys are going to provide the "heavy hitters" for my AoA Orc army. I have decided that Orcs will be the first of my Warhammer armies to get the full AoA treatment for 2 reasons. Firstly, I rarely used the Orcs in Warhammer because they had so many frustrating special rules that they became a real pain to play. Secondly, most of the figures are already on the correct sized bases which should speed up the job no end. With that in mind, expect  the next few update to mainly include some finished Orc units.

StokeRogue

No comments:

Post a Comment